Frying Pan Island Lighthouse was first exhibited on October 1, 1882, by J W Church. The lighthouse was a plain, small, wrought-iron unlined tower. A fixed red light was exhibited at Frying Pan Island until April 9, 1921.
When the light’s characteristic was changed to a red flash every two seconds, not long after this change was made, the light was made unattended. In 1937 the Frying Pan Island Lighthouse was discontinued.
On August 8, 1988, the Coast Guard removed the abandoned Frying Pan Island Lighthouse from the island and took it back to their base in Sault Ste. Marie
It is on display in front of the Sault Ste. Marie Coast Guard Station