Old Fort Niagara Light – Youngstown, NY

Old Fort Niagara Light – Youngstown, NY

Old Fort Niagara Lighthouse is located on the grounds of Fort Niagara, on the south shore of Lake Ontario in New York state. Fort Niagara Lighthouse was established in 1782 on the roof of Fort Niagara “French Castle.” Its purpose was to prevent vessels sailing at night from running too far westward of Fort Niagara.

Old Fort Niagara Light

The current tower was first lit in 1872. Its purpose was to prevent vessels sailing at night from running too far westward of Fort Niagara. The light was deactivated in 1996, having been replaced by a light beacon at the US Coast Guard station Niagara.

Old Fort Niagara Light Front